It’s difficult to write this post. The topic that has been bothering me for quite a while. Social selling, and doing things the right way to build relationships, before pitching how you can solve your audiences problems are important for building your business.
Understanding Social Selling
Business leaders must understand social selling for themselves, their companies and their employees. S phone book back in the day. I know you remember those horrendous waste of trees that piled up in closets across the country! But how could people find you if you weren’t listed?
It’s More Than Setting Up A Social Media Account
There is more to social selling that just having profiles set up on Twitter and LinkedIn. Selling successfully on social media requires the understanding of social media, learning the different social media platforms and how to uniquely communicate on each, or hiring someone who does. Because chances are, you might be doing “dumb” things on your social media accounts. Yes “dumb”. As in lacking intelligence, and having an inability to speak effectively using these tools to get your message out and connect. Through no fault of your own of course. You just might not be aware of how to communicate on social media to sell through your unique messages.
Don’t Be Dumb
Dumb things might include:
- Sending spammy sounding sales messages to prospect new clients. IE> “Have you seen the brand new Ford F150? Buy it now! We have great lease rates!”, “Your teeth could be whiter, call us to schedule an appointment today!“, “Call me to sell your house today for only 1%!!”, “We are the best roofing company in your area, check out our free report on how to make sure your roof can sustain any storm!”
- Making generic connection requests In LinkedIn to cold prospects – hoping they connect – even though you have not fully introduced yourself and your business.
- Having an outdated and unclear online presence
What Social Selling Is, and Is Not
Social Selling is not:
- Sending sales messages or broadcasting how great your product is
- Posting relevant interesting content
Social Selling is:
- Engaging with people
- Interacting with people
- Building relationships
I Know you, I Like You, I Trust You
Once you have built a relationship with people, and have built up a level of trust with them, then you can take that relationship to the next action that can lead to a sale. Provide information (Example: thought leadership report, webinar) that helps to solve your audiences problem, with the opportunity for you to connect offline and discover more about them and their problem.
Building Relationships Through Social Selling
Whether you are selling, hiring, job searching, or looking for resources on social media, the same basic principles apply:
- Your social media profile is only the start of the journey.
- Offering great tips and ideas on how to solve their unique problems is expected, but its not the end.
- Having conversations is critical.
Building Relationships Online
Unsure how to have a conversation on social media? Here are some tips to help you to start building relationships online.